It was inevitable, really… These last several weeks of studying the story of Joseph in Genesis and his being taken down to Egypt led to me finally having the Bangles, singing ‘Walk Like an Egyptian,‘ stuck in my head… Gack!
[Now you know how really warped my poor mind works… LOL! ]
But there is a lesson here….
As we have recently explored, the Joseph story is a picture of 2000 years of history. Here is the quick recap:
- Joseph was the favored son. Yeshua was the only begotten favored Son.
- Joseph was sent to his brothers. Yeshua was sent to His brothers.
- Joseph was stripped of a special garment. Yeshua was stripped of his seamless (special) tunic.
- Joseph was put in a pit. Yeshua was put in the grave.
- Joseph was raised up sold (sent) out of the land to Egypt. Yeshua was sold (30 pieces of silver) and sent out of the land and into the nations.
- Joseph’s name was changed to Zaphenath-panea. Yeshua’s name was changed to ‘Jesus.’
- Zaphenath-panea (meaning: he hath revealed him) elevated to second in power only to Pharaoh. Jesus elevated to right-hand of the Father. Second in power only to Father!
- Zaphenath-panea became savior of the world. Jesus became/is Savior of the world.
- Zaphenath-panea (Joseph), by all outward appearances was an Egyptian. Jesus, by all outward appearances is a Gentile.
- Judah and his brothers did NOT recognize Joseph, they saw an Egyptian prince. The Jews today, do not recognize Yeshua, they see a Gentile god.
- Zaphenath-panea never stopped being Joseph! It was a facade. Jesus never stopped being Yeshua, it is a facade!
- Zaphenath-panea revealed himself as Joseph when his brothers repented. Jesus will again ‘reveal Himself’ to His brothers as Yeshua when they cry out for Him.
- All of Pharaoh’s house heard that Zaphenath-panea was the Hebrew Joseph and that his brothers had come. (Gen. 45:16ff) All of ‘Gentile’ Christendom will hear/is hearing that Jesus is Hebrew Yeshua and that His brothers are coming.
- All finally knew who Joseph really was. All will finally know who Yeshua really is!
There is MUCH more to the prophetic nature of Joseph’s life, but this will suffice.
So, what does this have to do with the title, ‘Jesus said, “Walk Like an Egyptian“?’
Christendom sees ‘Zaphenath-panea’ (Jesus). They see a Gentile looking Messiah doing Gentile things among the Gentile world. They think that when John says, “one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked,” they believe they are to walk like the Egyptian/Gentile portrayal of ‘Jesus.’ They think they are to ‘Walk Like an Egyptian!’
The problem is that ‘Jesus’ is an Egyptian/Gentile facade/construct that hides the true identity of Messiah. He is not Egyptian at all!
It was the Father’s will that Joseph be sent to Egypt to bring about a great salvation, but it was NOT his father’s will or THE Father’s will that he lose his identity. Any who REALLY knew Zaphenath-panea would know he was a Hebrew. They would know he kept Torah. They would know that he had a distinguishing mark (circumcision) that clearly identified he was in covenant with the One Living and True God, Yahweh!
In like manner, it was the Father’s will that Yeshua be sent to Egypt (the nations) to bring about a great salvation. Those who desire to REALLY know the Messiah will seek behind the facade of ‘Jesus’ to find the very Hebrew Yeshua! They will find a Messiah who keeps and teaches Torah. They will stand among the brothers when everyone else is sent out of the room when He reveals Himself!
Do you look to an Egyptian facade, Jesus? Or, do you look behind the mask to see who He really is, the Hebrew Messiah, the Lion of Judah, Yeshua?
Do you see a Gentile eating swine, profaning the Sabbath, and ignoring the Feasts of the Lord? Or, do you see a Messiah who keeps and teaches the Commandments?
If your picture of the Messiah is a Gentile-looking Jesus, I ask you to dig deeper and see who is behind the facade!! What do the Scriptures really teach?
John tells us, the foundation to understanding the Messiah is to understand Moses (Torah)!
44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses…. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” John 5:44-47
Dig deeper. Get to the foundation of who Yeshua really is!!
If this study has challenged or blessed you, please consider sharing it!