As I was reading several chapters in Ezekiel last night, I came across a passage that so perfectly describes the Christian Church that it occurred to me that if God DOESN’T judge her, then He will HAVE to apologize to Jerusalem.
Here is the passage, tell me if this is not a perfect description of ‘churchianity’ and the governments of so-called ‘Christian nations:’
23 And the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 24 “Son of man, say to her, ‘You are a land that is not cleansed or rained on in the day of indignation.’ 25 There is a conspiracy of her prophets in her midst like a roaring lion tearing the prey. They have devoured lives; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in the midst of her. 26 Her priests have done violence to My Torah and have profaned My holy things; they have made no distinction between the holy and the profane, and they have not taught the difference between the unclean and the clean; and they hide their eyes from My sabbaths, and I am profaned among them. 27 Her princes within her are like wolves tearing the prey, by shedding blood and destroying lives in order to get dishonest gain. 28 Her prophets have smeared whitewash for them, seeing false visions and divining lies for them, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ when the Lord has not spoken. 29 The people of the land have practiced oppression and committed robbery, and they have wronged the poor and needy and have oppressed the sojourner without justice. 30 I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found [a]no one. 31 Thus I have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; their way I have brought upon their heads,” declares the Lord God.
The larger context of the passage is the destruction of Jerusalem and exile to Babylon and the reasons for such.
Both Israel and Judah had committed atrocious ‘harlotries’ that were an abomination and rightly demanded the full attention/judgment of a righteous God. Ezekiel 23 especially spells this out using the words ‘harlot’ and ‘harlotries’ at least 18 times!
The above quoted passage is one description of the sins of the ‘princes’ (government) and the priest/prophets. It nearly perfectly describes the current conditions we live in:
- A land that is not cleansed. Just surf the TV, radio or internet… On second thought, don’t. It is atrocious filth.
- A conspiracy of prophets in her midst. Doctrinal statements and theologies are carefully used to keep the church ‘inline.’ No desire to wrestle with known/verifiable false doctrines.
- Treasures and precious things have been taken and lives devoured. Ministries pillage for gain! Tithing laws and principals radically abused and the sheep sheared. (They have ‘pastured themselves on the sheep’…)
- Priests have done violence to My Torah. Precise description of the lawless church that absolutely ignores huge sections of God’s instructions and openly teach against them.
- Have profaned My holy things.
- They have made no distinction between the holy and the profane. Pagan symbols and practices in church. Allowance of abominations among the flock (abortion, homosexuality, adultery, divorce…)
- Have not taught the difference in the clean and unclean. Condone the eating of things that the Everlasting, Unchanging God says are an ‘abomination.’
- They hide their eyes from My Sabbaths. Rome changed the day to suit their Mithraism, then ignored Scripture to build false theologies still embraced today.
- Princes like wolves tearing the prey for dishonest gain. Just look at Wallstreet and the Federal Government. Bed-buddies hellbent on destroying the economy and people for personal gain.
- Her prophets have smeared whitewash for them. As part of a government program, today’s pulpits teach Romans 13 means we submit to whatever atrocity is foisted on us.
- People of the land have committed oppression and robbery, wronging poor and needy… The great religion of materialism we have been taught results in mercilessness and self-centeredness.
- God poured out His indignation on them. He will do so on us,
or, God will have to apologize to Jerusalem!
Verse 30 holds some hope, but requires that we come in humility and learn of the mistakes we have made, then dare to pronounce them from the rooftops!!
I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found [a]no one.
Standing in the gap is more than praying… it is REPENTING and then SPEAKING!
Turn from the abominations of our fathers!
- Return to the Sabbath, get the detestable things (swine, shellfish, skunks, buzzards, cockroaches, etc) out of your pantry and body!
- Affirm and walk by the Torah!
- Make the Sabbath a holy day of rest and worship.
May we each be found standing in the gap that we be not destroyed as Jerusalem was, because surely, Judgment is coming!
If this article has challenged or blessed you, please consider sharing it!