The Hebrew words for ‘fire,’ ‘burnt-offering,’ and ‘woman’ are identical in the original unpointed Hebrew text. Even with vowel pointing, it takes a sharp eye to distinguish between the three. Is there a connection implied? Quite possibly.
These unpointed words are actually so close that most Bible translations errantly use ‘woman’ in Zechariah 5:7, where ‘fire’ – as in ‘nuclear’- makes much more sense. Credit for insight goes to Michael Rood, but I digress.
Is there a more important reason to consider the closeness of these words and possible insight into God’s authority structure? Consider these unrefined/not yet developed thoughts…
- All women in Scripture are to be under the authority of a man, whether father, husband, or son.
- A woman without a covering had no representation in the Assembly.
- As a helpmeet, the woman in submission to the man is a most fragrant offering.
- A woman operating according to her man’s authority provides power to the the home and his mission/calling.
- Conversely, a woman out of control is a wildfire that destroys. (Think: Karen)
Interestingly, a few of the Roman Senators knew and understood this point as the empire succumbed to feminism. The following page from Durant’s Caesar and Christ spells out the dangers of feminism as we see them encroaching on Western civilization. The spiral begins with men who become affluent and no longer have ambition to conquer, proceeds to demands of feminine equality, then collapses into self-serving and uncontrolled debauchery and fiscal irresponsibility. Isaiah 3 confirms that women in leadership is judgment of Yah.
From the moment that they become your equals they will be your masters…Will Durant in Caesar and Christ
God’s authority structure, especially for kol Israel, is diametrically opposed to the way of the adversary. Which path are you on? Which path are your major influences on? Your teachers?
As for me and my house, we serve Yahweh!